Though I want to believe that spring is on its way and the snow and ice will soon be distant memories…so far, no dice. The good news is, you are still totally appropriate if you want to bake up this simple and amazing cake just to warm up your house and fill it with the smells of gingerbread. When you curl up with a slice of this and a cold glass of milk, spring can wait for just one more day…
|Spice Cake|| |
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger (or 1 tablespoon, depending on your preference for ginger)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray, cut a circle of parchment paper to fit inside, and then spray the paper as well. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Use a whisk to mix it all together and lighten the dry ingredients.
- In another large mixing bowl or the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the egg, molasses (spray your measuring cup with nonstick spray before measuring the molasses to help it come out easier), sugar and melted butter until well mixed.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk. Mix until the batter is nice and smooth and everything is incorporated.
- Pour the batter into your prepared cake pan and smooth the top so it's nice and even. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool before removing it from the pan. Enjoy with a dusting of confectioner's sugar or a dollop of whipped cream.