Sometimes it just feels great to treat yourself to bacon and eggs. For those parents of young kids out there or anyone else who feels like they live a whole day before noon sometimes, this one is for you.
|Brunch in a Sandwich|| |
Cuisine: Breakfast, brunch
Author: Andrea Benoit
- 4 slices bacon, or more, this is your indulgent sandwich!
- 4 slices sandwich bread of choice, I used whole wheat
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices American or cheddar cheese
- handful of tender lettuce greens, washed and spun dry
- 1 delicious tomato, I used a yellow one, sliced
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Prepare your bacon. Place slices in a cold saute pan and turn heat to medium. Cook the bacon slowly, rendering out the fat until the bacon is nice and crisp, about 6 minutes. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Place slices of bread in the toaster.
- Heat a non-stick saute pan over medium-low and add vegetable oil. After 1 minute, crack eggs into pan. Season with salt and pepper. Let the eggs cook slowly, adjusting heat down if necessary. The goal is cooked but soft, no egg browning or crisping! Flip eggs over after 2-3 minutes and cook on second side for 30 seconds or so for over-medium eggs. Lay slices of cheese directly on eggs and remove pan from heat.
- Assemble your open-faced sandwiches. Remove toast from toaster, spread with mayonnaise, arrange lettuce on top, then slices of tomato. Then, lay bacon atop each slice and top with the eggs.
- Enjoy your brunch in a sandwich!